By Alex Dunlap, Food & Beverage Communications Coordinator
That’s right – today marks the first day of WAFFLE WEEK! And to help you kick off this special week, I’m sharing a yummy waffle recipe from one of our past cookbooks: Delicious Disney Sweet Treats. This chocolate waffle recipe features espresso frozen mousse and is inspired by a previous offering from Tamu Tamu Refreshments at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. This unique treat makes for the sweet treat to start your morning or even a delicious after-dinner dessert. You’ll definitely want to keep this recipe to use over and over again!
Chocolate Waffles with Espresso Frozen Mousse
From Tamu Tamu Refreshments at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- 3 cups white chocolate chips
- 4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons espresso or strongly brewed coffee
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For Espresso Mousse
- Place white chocolate chips into a medium heatproof bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup heavy cream and espresso in a small saucepan over high heat; heat until very hot but not boiling. Pour hot cream over white chocolate chips, whisking until melted and smooth.
- Add egg yolks, whisking until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip remaining 3 cups cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold whipped cream into white chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Dollop mousse into a lightly greased muffin tin. Freeze until hard.
For Chocolate Sauce
- Whisk together heavy cream, sugar, water, corn syrup, and cocoa in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook, whisking often, until sugar is dissolved.
- Lower heat to low; whisk in chocolate chips until completely melted. Keep warm until ready to use.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Whisk together milk and egg in a separate bowl.
- Combine butter and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 20 seconds; remove from microwave and stir for 10 seconds, then microwave 10 seconds more. Remove from microwave and stir; if chocolate isn’t melted, microwave 10 seconds more.
- Add melted chocolate and butter mixture to milk and egg mixture.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Cook waffles in a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove espresso mousse from freezer and dip bottom of pan in warm water to remove mousse.
- Top warm waffles with frozen espresso mousse. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and serve immediately.
Of course, in honor of this tasty celebration, I’m excited to be highlighting some of my favorite waffle offerings from our parks and resorts across the globe. These waffle-y delights represent a mixture of past and present offerings as well as a few dishes that will eventually be making their long-awaited return as we safely re-open our many locations around the world.
How are you celebrating Waffle Week? Share some of your favorite Disney waffle memories by using the hashtag #DisneyMagicMoments, and stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more yummy Disney stories and recipes. Happy snacking!
Classic Mickey Waffles from Various Locations at our Parks and Resorts around the World
Bubble Waffles from AristoCrépes, Double Chocolate Waffle Sundae from Vivoli il Gelato, and Magical Sundae from Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop Disney Springs
Chicken and Waffles from Scat Cat’s Club from Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter and Chicken and Waffles from Ale & Compass Restaurant at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
Warm Waffle Sundae from Ballast Point Brewing Company at the Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort
Mickey Waffle Platter with Mixed Berries from Main Street Corner Café Hosted by Coca-Cola®, Mickey Waffle with House-made Gelato from Disney Explorers Lodge, and Mickey Bubble Waffle Egg Puff and Mickey Waffle with Mixed Berries, Whipped Cream, and Maple Syrup and Ice Cream Waffle Baskets from various Outdoor Vending Locations at Hong Kong Disneyland
Specialty Waffles from Il Paperino, Remy’s Patisserie, and Troubadour Treats at Shanghai Disneyland Resort
Mickey Waffles from the Great American Waffle Company at Toyko Disney Resort